Saturday, February 4, 2012

Black and White Chili

I've been talking up White Chicken Chili to a Korean friend of mine here.  She then told me it was necessary I make this dish for her. And because she's a true gem, she kept on me and when I finally invited her over she decided to invite a couple of her friends that I'd been wanting to meet.

(I realize this may seem obnoxious to some folks, but truly, I love her for her boldness in these matters. I also love having my home filled with new people. AND considering the fantastic friend that she is, I'm always eager to meet those whom she describes with affection and joy, so I was thrilled to have more than a couple mouths to feed.)

But, here's the other part of that story. I only have one of two bags of white beans left in my kitchen and I didn't buy them in South Korea, nor can I buy them in South Korea, so I brought them from the states. And I'm a little selfish with these sorts of things. Black beans however, are available in Korea. So, I opted for a Black and White chili which was just as satisfying to my friend and prevented me the sadness of using up a treasured food item, heaven forbid.

Photobucket


Ingredients/Directions:
Inspired by this post at Black Girl Chef's Whites

In a large stockpot heat about 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil.  Add to heated oil 1 Onion, chopped, saute 5-7 minutes. Meanwhile, mince 3-5 Garlic Cloves and chop 2-3 large Mushrooms (between 1-2 cups), add to sauteing onions and oil (I also like to add 1-2 Tbsp. Butter anytime I cook with Mushrooms, just a habit). Stir to coat additions in oil before adding 2 Tbsp. Chili Powder, 1 tsp. Oregano (or basil if desparate), 1 tsp. Salt, and 1 tsp. Cumin - saute and heat until spices are aromatic.  Next add 3 cups of shredded or ground meat (I used 1 cup pre-cooked Chicken and 2 cups pre-cooked Pork) cook thoroughly if not pre-cooked. Add 2 cups Chicken Broth, 2 cups White Beans and 2 cups Black Beans and water if necessary for proper consistency.  Add seasonings as you see fit for your palate as well as a can of diced green chiles (or fresh roasted green chiles, I often roast a large batch, even a mix of peppers, throw them into a food processor with olive oil and garlic, spoon into ice cube trays and then use these to spice up my soups, but that's primarily because when I buy peppers in Korea I get a couple dozen for about a dollar...but never need that many at once) and a handful of fresh cilantro (or ice cubed, frozen cilantro pesto, another trick I've acqured thanks to Korea).

Serve this soup with grated cheddar cheese and a few corn bread muffins and you've got yourself a hearty, winter meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...