Friday, March 25, 2011

Hoppin John Wrap

Eat poor that day, eat rich the rest of the year.
Rice for riches and peas for peace.
- Southern saying on eating a dish of Hoppin' John on New Year's Day.

I don't know when I first heard of this traditional southern US Traditional Dish and I'm not even sure much of this recipe follows closely the concept of Hoppin John. What I do know, is that when I think of Hoppin John, I think of Black Eyed Peas and a Green (in this case Spinach). So, with a growling tummy and some Black-Eyed Peas available, I made my way down the street to the local market, picked up some onions and spinach and within minutes had whipped up this nice little wrap.

Photobucket

Ingredients/Directions:

In a skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. Oil. Saute 1 Onion, chopped and 1 or 2 cloves Garlic, minced. Add 2 cups drained Black-Eyed Peas, heat through. In a bowl, whisk together 3 Eggs, season with salt, pepper and cajun seasoning or chili powder. Add to skillet, scramble with peas and onions. When egg is cooked through, throw in two-three large handfuls of chopped or torn Spinach, sprinkle a bit of Nutmeg and saute until wilted. Serve mixture in large Tortillas with cheese of choice or that which is available and enjoy for the New Year or a mid-year dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...