Monday, February 14, 2011

Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos

Photobucket

In preparing to leave Laramie, WY for the otherside of the world, there was one restaurant I knew I'd miss terribly; Sweet Melissa's - a Vegetarian Cafe. If you've never been, you really ought to stop by. Any vegetarian cafe that can make a Wyoming-meat-eater say "Wow, that was good and filling" - is a vegetarian cafe worth frequenting! It is in fondly remembering this special place little cafe nestled in old downtown facing the train tracks that I was pushed forward in pursuing Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos here in the land of kimchi.

With plenty of inspiration and reccomendations, coupled with the limitations of an Asian market vs. a Latin market, I set out to re-create tastes of home.

Ingredients:

2 cups Black Beans
3 cups Sweet Potatoes, mashed
1 Onion, diced and sauted
3-5 Green Chiles, roasted and diced
2-3 cloves of Garlic, minced
Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin - to taste
Prepared Salsa
Tortillas
Cheese

Directions:

Saute onion, garlic and green chilies, add to sweet potatoes. Combine beans and potatoes (can be mixed, pureed, slightly beaten - however you most desire.) Add seasonings, fresh cilantro and lime juice would be nice if it's available. Spreak potato and bean mix onto tortilla, top with cheese, fold and bake in the oven until warmed through. We have a convection oven so cooking time is about 15-20 minutes or less. Serve with salsa on the side or green chili on top. Best enjoyed with good friends, conversing about winter vacations and adventures!

Tips for creating this meal in Korea:

Black beans are a bit tricky to find - yet not impossible. My best bet has been to buy them in their dried state; you can find them at Costco and many times at HomePlus. If you're at Costco, might as well pick up some tortillas as well. Various international food stores provide fresh cilantro, for a bit more info regarding 'foreign' markets in Korea, check out this post.

For dried black beans this is the way to go!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Melissa!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://519kitchen.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...